Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Daily Hassle

There is one word that every high schooler dreads at the end of class. Homework.  We have just been in a class for an hour listening to the teacher go on about something nobody is interested in or we work on something that nobody wants to do but that is never enough because we have to go home later that night and do more work.  After seven classes each day, the work needed to do at home piles up.  Many students don't do their homework while others spend hours each night trying to get it done.  Something I'm sure teachers must not realize is that students do have lives other than just school.  Some have jobs, are in sports, or have other obligations.  School has taken up eight hours of our day and the last thing anyone wants to do is come home and think more about school.  Athletes have two hour practices each night so after they finally get home and eat supper it's around seven o'clock and they have two hours to get homework done before they will be ready for bed.  Students who work on weekdays often work from four to ten.  By the time they get home do you really think they are going to do homework instead of going to bed?  Teachers always tell students that school comes first.  Well duh! It takes up our entire day.  I wish they would understand that by the end of the day students are wiped out and sick of school.  The last thing we want to do is study or work more.  I understand that homework and studying is important for doing well but they get an hour of our day each day to teach us what we need to know.  If teachers want us to practice or prove we have learned something, have us do it in class.  If we need help, we can go in before or after school.  However not everyone needs that extra help.  I personally have at least two and half hours of homework each night.  That is on a good night.  Sometimes it will take me from when I get home from school at four till nine at night.  Only stopping for a a dinner break.  After three years of this I am fed up, sick, and tired of it!  I hate going home knowing I have more work to do.  Although homework will always be there and teachers will continue giving it each and everyday, I will never have a positive attitude towards it.     

1 comment:

  1. Homework sucks, 100%. I definitely agree! School takes up majority of our days, and then continues to after school and on weekends. Why?! I have a job and like to spend time with family and friends. I'm sure there are many others like myself, where I literally dont have time for homework, i'm busy enough as it is. Homework just causes stress and should be left for school hours. And what are you supposed to do if you dont understand the homework? You can't call up your teachers and ask them, then if you dont complete it, even if you didnt understand, you dont get full points.

    Homework equals one thing: bull!

    ReplyDelete