Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's the point?

Every morning I get out of bed and get ready for school.  After I walk upstairs to eat breakfast I always know I can expect to hear those five annoying words from my mother.  "Did you make your bed?" My answer is always the same one.  No.  Then she gets mad because she has to make it just because everything has to be perfect in our house (or so she thinks).  Well considering it is my room and nobody goes in there during the day, I dont see why my bed has to be made.  Seriously, what's the point?  You wake up in the morning, crawl outta bed, and all you want to do is crawl back in.  Why waste your energy making your bed.  It not only wastes energy, but time as well.  It takes two precious minutes to make that thing when I could spend those two extra minutes in the shower or catching up on some sleep.  There was even some show about making your bed!  It said something about when you get up you shouldn't make your bed right away because you should let it air out for a while. So why not all day long? 
When you get ready to go to sleep at night, you just get back into bed and mess it all up again.  If you ask me, making your bed is just making more work for yourself.  It's a pointless chore. 
One day I decided to make life easier on my mother.  It was a saturday so I was in no hurry to get anywhere.  I had time to make my bed.  Well right as I finished (it took me forever because it had been so long since the last time I made my bed) she came down with the laundry basket and said she was going to be washing the sheets today so I didnt even need to make my bed.  After that, I gave up and have not made my bed since. 
Even though I never make my bed, each day I come home from school and somehow it has been made.  This is something I could live without.  If you ask me, my mother just loves working harder than she has to.  Nobody goes into my room except for the family and myself.  I don't care if my bed is made or not.  So why make it? My mother would tell you "because it looks better that way."  Well she must have forgotten that looks are not everything.

5 comments:

  1. Mariah i could not agree more! My dad says the same exact thing. There is absolutely no point in making your bed every day. It takes so long for me, my bed gets very messed up, so it requires a lot of time. Your'e right looks aren't everything especially when it comes to making your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read about how not making your bed can be healthier a long time ago. I do make my bed but usually right before I leave for school. Supposedly when you let it air out it gets rid of dust mites that live in your mattress. I do agree on the fact that no one will be going in your room and there is no point if you just come home and crawl back under the covers. I could also understand if your mom was going to have guest over or your friends over she wouldn't want to make it look like no one cleans, my mom is the same way. But for everyday I don't see a point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARIAH! HEY!!! well, I decided that ever time we have to comment on peoples blogs I'm going to comment on yours because we've been through a lot ya know? The hard detasseling season, me getting attacked by a deer, bugging jake because we live for it, ect ect. We just love detasseling! anyways about this blog. I never have to make my bed. My mom like attempted to try and make us make them, but when you get up at 8, shower, get ready, eat, and are to school by 835, you just don't have time. And lets face it, it is pointless. Kinda like how my dad says that I need to close all the dresser drawers after I'm done using them... yep that doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to comment on your blog today. I agree with you 100%. I never make my bed because usually our maid does it. I never see the point of making my bed when I go back to bed at night. My parents atleast don't yell at me because they're lazy to. They get out of bed and get ready and go to work. Then usually are beds get made when we are at work or school. But back to your blog, I would have to say overall making your bed after you get up is pointless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also don't see the point in making my bed. All it's for is sleeping in so why should it have to look good during the day? Theres no one to impress in there except the walls and my doors always shut anyway. Making the bed is pointless, and so are those fancy pillows some people put on them!

    ReplyDelete