Friday, February 25, 2011

Daycare!

So for those of you who do not know, my mother runs a home daycare.  She has taken care of kids her entire life and absolutely loves it.  My mom babysat her younger brothers all the time and was a nanny while she attended college.  When I was born, she switched to home daycare.  She had ten kids coming to our house everyday by the time I was three.  I remember waking up in the mornings and going downstairs to play with all my friends.  All the kids were about the same age.  Between the ages of 2-5 or something.  Anyway, this was a lot of fun.  I had tons of friends who I hung out with everyday and I got to spend all day with my mom! Sounds like the perfect life right? At that time, yes.
Now I got older, andexcitment faded away.  The kids were getting to be a few years younger than me and I had nothing in common with them.  Half of them couldnt even talk!  I still loved having my mother home everyday but the kids got annoying.  I woke up in the mornings, and of course, they would be there.  Sometimes I would wake up to crying, the smell of poopy diapers, screaming kids, or those toys that make annoying noises!  The kids that used to be fun to play with, were now an every day hassle.  Although I had school each day, my mornings and afternoons were spent around those children.
After we moved here, my mom changed her style and began taking care of school teachers kids so she could have summers to spend with her wonderful children.  This started when I was about 11.  I had no problem with this.  I had become much more mature, had a better attitude towards kids taking up my mother's time, and did not mind them as much.  Summers were fabulous because I never woke up to little rugrats around my house. 
Because my mother takes care of school teacher's kids, I have often had to deal with the parents of the kids as teachers.  Some people think this is weird, but not me.  Actually, every parent that is a high school teacher who has kids that come to my house, I have had a class with.  For some odd reason, they seem to be the classes I enjoy the most.
These days, when I wake up in the morning, the kids are usually not there yet.  I NEVER have to wake up to annoying kids and when I do see the children, they are either eating breakfast (usually for a second time), or playing quietly in my living room.  It's wonderful.  The kids talk to me while I eat breakfast and when I get home from school.  They are very entertaining and I have no problem with them coming to my house anymore.  In fact, I might miss them if they weren't there each day.

3 comments:

  1. Those kids will always give you something to talk about, and you will always have an opportunity to say something embarrassing
    when they are older. It is such a joy! p.s. Love your mom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who's mom runs a home daycare to and I went over there one day after school and your right they are very annoying, jumpy, and loud. But they are somewhat entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah you decided to blog about a positive story. good job.

    ReplyDelete